1. What Matters Most is What You Think. This is a survey of online opinion. If one of your favorite Sausalito places didn't score highly on the chart, ignore the chart. A couple of our favorite places to eat in Sausalito have never fared well in the online world, both in reviews and in ratings sites. We still keep eating at those favorite spots regardless of their ranking.
2. Look at the Score, Not the Rank. We routinely see many restaurants clustered in the mid to high 80's on their score. The top one may be ranked #12 and the bottom may be ranked #22, but their scores are so close you should think of them as having similar popularity.
3. A Point or Two is No Big Deal. If a restaurant went up or down a point or two on a given chart from one quarter to the next it's not that big a change, and small quarterly variations are routine.
4. New Restaurants Take Time to Find Their Place. In the five years we've done the surveys we've seen that most new restaurants break into the lists with lower scores. The good ones then gradually improve until after about a year they've found their true level. Don't rush to judgment if a new establishment is ranked towards the bottom of the list.
5. Sausalito Has a Lot of Really Good Restaurants. Regardless of rank, most of the places we cover are considered to be a good place to eat by diners. Maybe we're prejudiced, but we think the #25 ranked restaurant here might be one of the best places in town in many locales. Over the five years we've done these surveys the margin between the #1 place and the #15, #20 and #25 places has narrowed, because the quality standard necessary to stay in business has risen. Several weaker restaurants have closed and been replaced by higher-scoring operations.
7. What Mood are You In? The right-hand column of the chart indicates each restaurant's cuisine. If you're looking for Indian food there's a choice near the very top of the chart and a second highly-rated choice a little farther down. Read the summary for each and you'll have an idea about which one you want to check out next. Same for Italian, Thai, Seafood and so on.
8. Find a Place with a View. Looking for a view restaurant? Check out our Best View Restaurants in Sausalito list.
9. Don't Just Follow the Crowds. Places with high "Heat" scores get the most attention on the Net, but not all great local restaurants get "discovered" online. A number of places that are very popular with local residents have extremely low Heat scores since out-of-town visitors don't know about them. So get out and try those undiscovered places that sound promising and may be hidden gems!