SAUSALITO COVID RULES & REOPENING STATUS
Last Updated: March 25, 2021
On March 24, 2021, Sausalito COVID rules entered into the “Orange Tier” of California’s reopening plan, along with the rest of Marin County and much of the San Francisco Bay Area. There are no travel restrictions or quarantine for people entering the state of California, nor for our local area.
What is The Orange Tier?
California is following a phased plan to safely reopen businesses and local governments during the pandemic, with requirements ranging from the Purple tier (most dangerous) though red, orange, yellow and green (lowest risk).
Although this tier increases public access and activities, it’s still important to follow the statewide and Sausalito COVID rules to prevent another pandemic surge. Key Orange Tier requirements for locals and visitors to Sausalito are:
- Retail and grocery stores: No limits on visitors apart from requirements for masks and social distancing
- Restaurants – indoor dining: can expand indoor capacity to 50% or 200 people (whichever is fewer). No limits on outdoor dining apart from wearing masks when not eating, and social distancing between tables
- Breweries/wineries that do not serve food: can expand indoor capacity to 25% or 100 people (whichever is fewer)
- Bars that do not serve food: can operate outdoors only
- Outdoor recreation spaces, including parks, playgrounds, etc.: Social distancing required, masks required when near other people who are not from your household
- Museums and movie theaters: can expand indoor capacity to 50% or 200 people (whichever is fewer)
- Houses of worship: can expand indoor capacity to 50% or 200 people (whichever is fewer)
- Weddings/funerals: can expand indoor capacity to 50% or 200 people (whichever is fewer)
- Family recreation/entertainment facilities: can expand indoor capacity to 25%
- Gyms and fitness studios: can expand indoor capacity to 25% and reopen indoor pools
- Non-essential offices may reopen (but working remotely is still encouraged)
Orange Tier Sausalito COVID restrictions began on March 24 and will last until we meet the lower infection rate guidelines of the Yellow Tier (and hopefully we all follow the rules so we don’t have another surge that propels us back to the Red Tier!)
Sausalito COVID Testing
The Marin County Health Dept. encourages unvaccinated people to get COVID-19 tests whenever they notice potential symptoms, or after direct contact with people outside their family unit.
Sausalito COVID testing (via oral swab) is available by appointment every Wednesday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM at Parking Lot 2 adjacent to the Bank of America Building in downtown Sausalito. Appointments open three to four days before each scheduled testing day.
The test is free, regardless of whether you have insurance. If you’re insured, your carrier may be billed for the cost of the test.
Additional sources for testing include offices of health care providers, many other local test sites, and FDA-approved home testing kits. A list is available on the Marin Public Health Dept. site.