It's been one of the longest runs in the history of Sausalito, but after almost 50 years on Bridgeway the venerable Winship Restaurant (formerly named the Sausalito Sweet Shoppe) has now been sold and transformed into Napa Valley Burger Company.
Gone are the etched glass dividers, the booths, the forcastle at the entranceway, the breakfast grill. Here instead is an open floor plan with a mature feel that is appropriate for Sausalito's oldest brick building, which dates back 137 years to 1875.
Winship had been for sale for some time, and the change was approved by the City back in December.
Our initial visits to Napa Valley Burger Co. have produced both enjoyment and nostalgia. Some of our editors visited the old Winship regularly for Sunday brunch when they were kids and are sad to see it go, but we have to say that the new restaurant makes a good first impression… if a pricey one. Last weekend there was a 40-minute wait at 2:00 PM in the nice weather.
For those of us with a taste for nostalgia, the coming weeks still hold the return of the newly remodeled Trident from its 36-year hibernation.